Thursday, January 27, 2011

INDIE USA

Inspired by the United States of Movies map (below) and the TV show map that followed (further below), I've decided to take it upon myself to make a United States of Indie music. I know the challenge sounds daunting, and I don't have high hopes for some states, but I'll see what I can scrape up from Google. I think it's only fair that hipsters get in on the act, and I'm as good a man as any to lead the charge.   


The United States of Movies




The United States of Television




UNITED STATES OF INDIE!




Authors Note: This was a lot harder than I thought. I very nearly made this a map of Indie and Hip-hop, since the pickings were so slim in the south. But that still would have left me with Donny Osmond in Utah. On that note, remind me to never travel there. Some states have no music culture to speak of, so I had to go with artists who have some degree of street cred (Bill Withers and Lawrence Welk) or bands with hilarious names, some awful (TruEmotion) and some awesome (We All Have Hooks For Hands). Also, it's hard to tell which state is which on a blank map. Sorry Colorado and Wyoming, but culture is attracted to squiggles. Enjoy.

Alabama - Drive by Truckers
Alaska - Portugal. The Man 
Arizona - Zola Jesus
Arkansas - Gossip
California - Pavement
Colorado - DeVotchka
Connecticut - MGMT
Delaware - Television
Florida - Iron and Wine

Georgia - R.E.M.
Hawaii - Bruno Mars (since he wrote Fuck You for Cee-Lo, and he's a better option than Jack Johnson)
Idaho - Built to Spill
Illinois - Wilco 
Indiana - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
Iowa - TruEmotion
Kansas - Mates of State
Kentucky - Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Louisiana - Neutral Milk Hotel
Maine - Ray Lamontagne
Maryland - Beach House
Massachusetts - Passion Pit
Michigan - Sufjan Stevens
Minnesota - The Hold Steady
Mississippi - The Weeks
Missouri - Uncle Tupelo
Montana - Colin Meloy
Nebraska - Bright Eyes
Nevada - The Killers
New Hampshire - Okkervil River
New Jersey - Titus Andronicus
New Mexico - Beirut
New York - Too many to count. I'm going to just say The Strokes because I can fit that text into the state.
North Carolina - The Love Language
North Dakota - Lawrence Welk
Ohio - The Black Keys
Oklahoma - The Flaming Lips
Oregon - Elliot Smith
Pennsylvania - Girl Talk
Rhode Island - Les Savy Fav
South Carolina - Band of Horses
South Dakota - We All Have Hooks For Hands
Tennessee - Kings of Leon
Texas - Spoon
Utah - Donny Osmond
Vermont - Doveman
Virginia - Wild Nothing
Washington - Modest Mouse
West Virginia - Bill Withers
Wisconsin - Bon Iver
Wyoming - Cary Judd

No comments:

Post a Comment