Saturday, March 20, 2010

Old Song Review: Smith - Baby It's You


Since SS has been derelict in his duty to this blog (yes I do see that half-finished Bob Dylan entry from two weeks ago), I've decided to pick up the baton (no I will not say 'Touch Me To Finish') and keep the Old Song Review series alive. I think it's a really neat idea, and it compliments my 'BEST NEW MUSIC' and 'ON REPEAT' and 'LILWAYNELILWAYNELILWAYNE' entries nicely.  This installment comes from a band called 'Smith' and is their cover of the Burt Bacharach penned 'Baby It's You'. The track reached #5 on the Billboard Top 100 Charts in 1969, after being originally recorded by The Beatles in 1963. I'm a Beatles fan, but there is no comparison after hearing Smith's rendition. Here's the original Beatles version:



It's nice. It sounds like most Beatles songs, with a some nice doo-wop style backing vocals.

Now here's Smith



Back-up vocals are swapped for an organ and a groovy bassline. And those mop-topped teeny-boppers are replaced with Gail McCormack and her soulful pipes. Her voice alone translates the lyrics from a hastily scrawled love letter into a desperate declaration. I don't know about you, but I get chills at 2:36 when she finally lets go and screeches the last few lines.

Of course I can't take credit for discovering this song on my own. It first caught my ear on the incredible soundtrack for Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof. Tarantino is a master of the film soundtrack and constructing iconic scenes from obscure songs. In my opinion, the Death Proof soundtrack is his magnum opus. Every song is pitch perfect in style and application. Only a small clip of 'Baby It's You' is actually featured in Death Proof, but as you can see below, it's more than enough to pique one's interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment