Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On Repeat: Lo-Fi-Fnk


I don't know if the two dudes above are the Swedes responsible for Lo-Fi-Fnk, but they are the first image that came up on a Google Image search of "Lo-Fi-Fnk", and they look exactly how their newest single "Marchin' In" sounds. A couple shirtless dudes in a field of daffodils smoking joints. Happy and relaxed. Spring. Don't believe me? Watch the video for it below and tell me I'm wrong.
 


Boy do those Swedes know how to write a catchy diddy. Forgive me for beating a dead horse, but Gorillaz need to take lessons on song progression from this. A simple piano part, a quiet bongo and some snaps. A bouncy bassline. Beautiful vocals merge effortlessly as other elements enter the frame. The song has a clear build-up and clear peaks and valleys. Repetition is used as a tool rather than a crutch. The song has probably less than 30 words, but it's not about the words. It has probably 30 instruments too, and with sloppier production you could probably pick them all out, but that is of no concern here. Everything just feels natural and comfortable, and I'm not even high. Whoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment