Thursday, May 20, 2010

On Repeat: Donnis- Underdog


Famed DJ A-Trak released Dirty South Dance 2 this week his electro-rap sequel to his 2007 mixtape of the same name. It's great for running/biking/etc, and you can download it here. While most of the tracks are remixes of successful hip-hop tracks (Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Drake), one of the brightest cuts is "Gone" from unknown (at least to me) Atlanta native Donnis. So bright in fact that I downloaded his mixtape Diary of an ATL Brave (available here) which compared favorably to fellow 10.Deep compatriot Wale. While not nearly as strong as Wale's 2008 "Mixtape About Nothing", I can't get "Underdog" out of my head. While it may be a knock off of Wale's "The Freestyle", complete with infectious horn hook and breakneck verse, it surpasses it with the inspired Sly and the Family Stone sample that loops under Donnis' clever rhymes. It'll hold me over until Gucci/Weezy get back into the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment