Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Timewaster of the Week: icheckmovies.com

So I came across this nifty little website a few days ago, and it soaked up most of my Sunday afternoon. It's a simple concept, offering lists of movies and allowing you to click and check off a little field on the right hand side of the page if you've seen it. There are also provisions to allow you to mark a movie as a favorite or to dislike a movie. What's interesting here is how they aggregate the films. They have IMDB's Top 250 films (of course), but they also have the 50 top-rated films by Genre and by Decade. They also have tons of Critic Lists, Website Lists, Award Winners and even Highest-Grossing films. For example, here are some of my stats of interest:



I have seen 143 of IMDB's Top 250 Films. Pretty sad. However, if you look closer, I've seen 42 of the Top 50 films of the 2000's and 35 of the 1990's. From here things drop precipitously (and linearly) to seeing only ONE of the top 50 films of the 1910's (DW Griffith's The Birth of a Nation). For someone who is always looking for new movies to see, this place is a goldmine. And for someone who thinks they are a film-snob, it's also humbling to see all the gaps in my film knowledge (Film Noir, Westerns). I do take offense to the website saying I don't watch a lot of Documentaries. I watch a SHIT-TON of documentaries, as many of my friends can attest. When SS says bring over some movies, at least 2 of them will be documentaries. SS will proceed to toss them aside and ask what Volver is about, but you get my drift. There are worse ways of wasting your time.

I've seen 515 movies, but I'm still checking them off as I write this, so sign up and try and knock me off my high horse.

Authors Note: I just realized no one can read the image I posted above. What are you going to do about it? That's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment