Thursday, October 8, 2009

Top Ten Movies I Need to See Before I Can Claim to Be A Film Snob (Pt 2)

On Wednesday I listed films 6-10 that I really need to see before I can say I'm a film geek with a straight face. Please hold all questions and embarassing comments to the end. It is with great humility that I present the Top 5 films I haven't seen.

#5 Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Plot Summary: Nearly 10 years have passed since Sarah Connor was targeted for termination by a cyborg from the future. Now her son, John, the future leader of the resistance, is the target for a newer, more deadly terminator. Once again, the resistance has managed to send a protector back to attempt to save John and his mother Sarah. 


Why I Haven't See It: I try to avoid seeing sequels before seeing the originals, but in this case I don't think it really matters. Terminator 2 is one of those movies that is universally loved, so much so, that I almost pre-emptively love it. I'm also afraid it will taint my memory of Arnold as a politician.


Odds I See It Within 6 Months: I would say 2:1, but I think I'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't see in it. 


#4 The Exorcist

Plot Summary: A visiting actress in Washington, D.C., notices dramatic and dangerous changes in the behavior and physical make-up of her 12-year-old daughter. Meanwhile, a young priest at nearby Georgetown University begins to doubt his faith while dealing with his mother's terminal sickness. And, book-ending the story, a frail, elderly priest recognizes the necessity for a show-down with an old demonic enemy.


Why I Haven't Seen It: I'm a wimp. 


Odds I See It Within 6 Months: Looking up with Halloween just around the corner! But yeah, I don't think I'm ready just yet.


#3 2001: A Space Odyssey

Plot Summary: When a large black monolith is found beneath the surface of the moon, the reaction immediately is that it was intentionally buried. When the point of origin is confirmed as Jupiter, an expedition is sent in hopes of finding the source. When Dr.David Bowman discovers faults in the expeditionary space craft's communications system, he discovers more than he ever wanted to know.


 Why I Haven't Seen it Yet: I like Sci-Fi, and I like Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut (Yes I haven't seen Clockwork Orange or Dr. Strangelove), but I think I'm afraid that the Sci-Fi will look tacky and I've already seen WALL-E, so that's pretty much the same thing, right?


Odds I See it Within 6 Months: Unlike Vertigo, I'm still pretty ambivalent about it still, I'm open to convincing arguments however.


#2 The Godfather, pt II

Plot Summary: The continuing saga of the Corleone crime family tells the story of a young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily and in 1910s New York; and follows Michael Corleone in the 1950s as he attempts to expand the family business into Las Vegas, Hollywood and Cuba. 


Why I Haven't Seen It Yet: Up until 2 weeks ago, I could use the "I haven't seen the first one" excuse, but no longer. That and it's almost as long as Laurence of Arabia. (3.5 hrs). I saw The Godfather, pt I a couple weekend ago and it was pretty awesome. This one's right up there on the queue. 


Odds I See it Within 6 Months: 3:2 I'm actually excited to see this. And I own it.


#1 The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Plot Summary: The Good is Blondie, a wandering gunman with a strong personal sense of honor. The Bad is Angel Eyes, a sadistic hitman who always hits his mark. The Ugly is Tuco, a Mexican bandit who's always only looking out for himself. Against the backdrop of the Civil War, they search for a fortune in gold buried in a graveyard. Each knows only a portion of the gold's exact location, so for the moment they're dependent on each other. However, none are particularly inclined to share... 


Why I Haven't Seen It: I could say it's long. I could say it's intimidating. But the truth is, it slipped under the radar, and now it's just a source of shame.


Odds I See it Within the Next 6 Months: Anywhere from 5:3 to 10:1, depending on how much I get heckled. 


There we go, those are the Top 5 movies I haven't seen. Are there famous movies ya'll haven't seen? Are you living a lie? There's a comment section for that!


Mike Out 

1 comment:

  1. What can I say, I can't believe you haven't seen some of these movies. Not only are they important for any person interested in films to see, they're some of my favorite moviews. I own many of these, which is saying something since I don't own too many movies.

    In reverse order, The GB&U is one of my favorite movies from all time. I'm sure you've heard of the score being amazing, it is. It also has argueably the best shootout scene of any movie ever. I would say it's better than the Resevoir Dogs shootout though that one is pretty insane.

    The Godfather II is canonical. You must see it and it's also an amazing story. I can even stand AP's overacting in this role.

    2001 is funky but also has some of the most memorable lines of any movie out there. If you're also a nerd (which you are) there are many references in life that you will miss if you haven't seen 2001.

    I watched the Exorcist when I was about 12 years old. I think these movies are best watched when one is young so they are actually extremely scary and real. My cousin and I had to watch Dumbo after the fact before even attempting the walk home; true story.

    If you think T2 will taint your idea of AS as govenor then you are F-ing crazy (and obviously don't follow politics . . . ). This is the role AS was meant for. The visual effects are amazing and you don't need to see the first one to sit through the joy-ride that is T2: Judgement Day!

    ReplyDelete